In 1858, for a mere ’300 pounds’, the building which is now “The Montreal House”, was built on the corner of Aylmer and King Streets, in the city of Peterborough’. The original owners were John Harvey, and his son Dr. Alexander Harvey. In 1870, the building was sold to Joseph Brault who established it as a boarding house. However, according to the archives, by 1883, The Montreal House was Peterborough’s first “Public House” serving beverages to the citizens of Peterborough and offering room and board on the second floor.
Owners have come and gone, but the establishment, it’s spirit, and a consistent flow of patrons has remained. In 1947, the back addition was added, and the beverage room became a male members only domain. It became a men’s club for the employees of companies such as the Canadian General Electric, Outboard Marine Company, and Nashua Paper. While times have changed, and women have long since been welcome, the spirit of the establishment has remained. The Montreal House remains a great venue to meet friends, and is the best ‘room’ in town to appreciate live music. The establishment is currently owned by John Grant.